Welcome to the 15th edition of Travel Photo Roulette! Last week’s edition was hosted by Shutterfeet and just happened to be won, amazingly with the stiff competition, by yours truly. So by virtue of the rules of the game, 10 Times One will be hosting this edition.
For those of you who don’t know, Travel Photo Roulette was started last year by Jeremy of Living The Dream RTW and has become a popular harvester of great travel photos in a welcome forum.
The “little wheel” having come around for me to choose the next theme, I’ve decided on “piousness”.
After spending some time in India this past month, I realized how much of a force spirituality is in India, reinforcing the belief that the people of the world are very devout, and that spirituality is both far-reaching and photogenic.
It’s hard to deny the presence of devotion in the world. I want to see the average traveling photographer’s interpretations of that. Your photo can be any take on the theme, be it pilgrims climbing a shrine, a nun doing her daily work, a temple, or the simple application of a bindi.
Here’s a sample image of what I’m talking about:
Previous Photo Roulette Hosts
The following is a list of erstwhile Photo Roulette hosts and a link to their contest pages. Check in to see the entrants and winners from their chosen theme, and also to support the blogs that have hosted in the past.
Thanks to all the previous hosts for making this game such a success!
- Nov 4–10, 2010 Living the Dream – “Animals”
- Nov 17–24, 2010 Skinny Backpacker – “Road Signs”
- Nov 29–Dec 6, 2010 Dream a Little Dream – “Street Art”
- Dec 8–Dec 15, 2010 Flashpacker HQ – “Festival”
- Dec 17–Dec 24, 2010 Over Yonderlust – “Landmarks”
- Dec 26–Jan 2, 2011 Don’t Ever Look Back – “Beaches”
- Jan 5–Jan 12, 2011 ThePlanetD – “Portraits”
- Jan 15–Jan 22, 2011 Travel with a Mate – “Motion”
- Jan 26–Feb 3, 2011 Johnny Vagabond – “Water”
- Feb 8–Feb 15, 2011 Ken Kaminesky – “Urban”
- Feb 21–Feb 27, 2011 Travels of Adam – “Friday Night”
- Mar 7 – Mar 13, 2011 Itchy Feet Chronicles – “The Journey”
- Mar 19 – Mar 25, 2011 Brendan’s Adventures – “Changing Seasons”
- Apr 4 – Apr 10, 2011 Shutterfeet – “Storytelling”
Extra Criteria to Keep in Mind When Submitting a Photo:
- One submission per Blog (so sites that have 2+ authors only get one entry).
No photoshopping allowed unless specifically called for! Cropping and correction for red-eye or camera flaws are ok, however.Don’t worry about it.
- Abstract submissions welcomed as long as it fits within the interpretation of the chosen phrase. Remember, the hosting blogger chooses the winner, so if they cannot understand the submission, you might not win!
- Keep phrases general so that all bloggers can participate. Specific items like “Eiffel Tower” should be avoided but rather made open-ended like “monuments.” For variety, it is ok to say focused things such as “monuments at night” in which most of us have pictures of.
- Abstract thoughts are appreciated, but keep it within the realm that all readers will understand. No “Kafka-esque”, but “Overlooking Creation” is able to be interpreted by all.
- No obscene pictures or phrases allowed. Suggestive phrases and photography can be accepted, but please keep it within reason.
- After a sufficient period of time, phrases can be reused, however new photos must be submitted.
- Keep the ideas and photos fresh!
- Pictures from your entire portfolio are fair to submit. You do not have to take the photo within the week of the contest period to submit it.
- Most importantly, ALL PHOTOS MUST BE YOUR OWN.
To Submit An Image
To enter in the Photo Roulette competition simply leave a comment below with a link to the image (whether Flickr, Picasa or your own site) and I’ll upload it to this post. Don’t forget to provide a brief description or caption for the photo so the viewers can get a little background as to what’s happening.
Check back here through the week to see all the entries as they come in – feel free to comment on them. The contest runs for 7 days, with the submission date being now until Thursday, April 21st, 2011 . I’ll announce the winner on Friday, April 22nd, and he or she will host round 16.
One last rule, since this is a competition for bloggers, we need you to be a blogger to be declared a winner. Sorry!
I wasn’t looking forward to Friday. I knew I’d have to choose a winner for this round and I really liked all the entries. It was going to be a tough decision. A solid half-dozen stood out for me, but in the end it was the way the entrants chose to interpret the piousness theme that did it. For me Clair’s photo captured it. There’s a lot that’s excellent about this photo. The composition, the spiderlike fractures in the rocks reminiscent of a bomb blast, the solemn and hopeful faces of the women, the colors, and the overall message that if one travels distances, gives up valued items and is true to the ritual they might be happy in life and love. It speaks volumes.
Thanks a lot Clair, nice work!
Clair from Beached Eskimo
Subir @ Always Outbound
The runner up goes to Subir with his monk in drum beating meditation. The piousness is obvious here and the scene was captured superbly.
By Manyu from Shutterfeet.
By Maggie from GirlVentures
By Jamie of Break Away Backpacker
By Magda at Destination World
By Cam at Traveling Canucks
By Nancy from Lady Expat
By Dina & Ryan at Vagabondquest
By Clair from Beached Eskimo
Entry Number Lucky 13
By Mike at 1000 Places to Fight Before You Die
By Stephen the Bohemian Traveler
By Nick Labord, Locationless
By Subir @ Always Outbound
By Runaway Juno
By Kieron at Don’t Ever Look Back